Over 60s 3s end season on a high

Published: Thursday, 06 September 2018

Hertfordshire Over 60s 3rd Xl v Buckinghamshire Over 60s 3rd Xl
On Tuesday 4th September 2018 at Abbots Langley Cricket Club

After being rained off on three occasions the fixture v Hertfordshire 3rds eventually took place yesterday at Abbots Langley CC.
The final fixture of the 3rd Xls first season saw them needing to win or gain 7 points from a defeat to overhaul Sussex 3rds in the table. A victory would also achieve a double over Hertfordshire 3rds who finished 2nd in the Division.
Hertfordshire won the toss and unexpectedly asked Buckinghamshire to bat first.

After a superb innings against Surrey 3rds last time out, Bob Floyd fell to his only duck of the season in the 2nd over. On a slow low track Peter Redfearn and Steve Shore looked to rebuild the innings. Peter making 51 off 74 balls before fatigue and a very sore leg saw him bowled by John Gibbons. The Little Marlow pair of Steve and Gerard Holmes looked to increase the scoring rate but there were black looks when Steve was run out by his club mate for 28 off 61 balls. Ged then fell bowled by John Gibbons for 8, that is what the score book says, but several thought the ball had come back off the keepers pads. George Nelson was joined by captain Ron Hedley and a score around 150 looked likely and probably not enough to win the match. George struggled to 14 off 42 balls before being bowled by Naran Jagati to herald the arrival of Larry Warr to the wicket and Bucks suddenly upped their game. This was helped by an injury to Martin Keeble who had figures of 1-15 off 6 overs. Warr hit 4 4s in a not out score of 31 off 19 balls and captain Ron Hedley put his recent low scoring run behind him with 5 fours in a not out total of 34 off 36 balls. An unbeaten partnership of 53 taking Bucks to 198 for 5 off 45 overs. The captain had said at the start he thought 180 would be a good score on the track.
With a limited bowling attack it was vital that the Bucks opening pair of Latif Khan and Ged Holmes made early breakthroughs. Khan bowled wonderfully and soon had Gibbons superbly caught at slip by George Nelson for 4 and then had Ray McHugh lbw for 0. Bucks thought they had the Herts star man caught behind by Larry Warr, off Holmes for 3 but it was not given and he chose not to walk, which appalled his batting partner as well as the Bucks players. He was then dropped and it looked as though Bucks might regret not getting him out. However Holmes and Warr were to combine again to dismiss him for 18. Alan Hunter and Robert Collins then got Herts back into the match with Hunter making 20 and Collins 52. Hunter was run out by Steve Shore with a direct hit and Colin Winton soon followed LBW to Mahmood Akhtar for 3. The Bucks captain risked all by leaving bowlers on meaning he would have to use a 6th bowler, which he didn’t have, in an attempt to bowl Herts out of the match. Mark Rogers had the dangerous Collins LBW when he had reached 52 and it was left to Bernard Murphy and Andy Welch to keep Herts very much in the match before a return to the attack for Latif Khan saw Murphy caught by Mark Rogers for 29 and Steve Shore brilliantly caught Welch for 22. Still needing around 7 an over to win for Herts and Bucks to find an over from a 6th bowler, who became captain Ron Hedley, the result was very much in the balance with 4 overs to go.
The threat of the captain bowling had an affect on both teams as the last two batsmen were both run out by Guy Morgan leaving the Bucks players to contemplate what the outcome may have been if Hedley had bowled. Khan finished with 4 -17 off 9 overs
A great win for Bucks 3rds and a fifth victory in a most enjoyable first season in the competition.